As a gamer, have you ever wondered if your love for gaming could be more than just a hobby? Have you asked yourself, “Can I make money gaming?”
The short answer to that question is yes! You can make money playing games, whether you’re just playing for fun or aiming to be a professional gamer.
However, the level of your success or how much you’ll earn will depend on your gaming skills and how much effort you’re willing to put in. Plus, your commitment to staying productive is vital to get paid to play video games.
Not sure where to start? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. In this article, we’ll guide you through 14 ways you can profit from playing video games. Feel free to choose the one that best matches your skills. So let’s get started!
Top 14 Ways to Make Money by Playing Games in 2023
Here is how you can earn money from playing games:
1. Creating Gaming Content on YouTube
- Suitable for: Beginners, any gamers who want to earn money from gaming
If you want to get paid to play video games on YouTube, you can simply create gaming content on that platform. As of now, YouTube is still the #1 platform for streaming online, according to SimilarWeb.
Guess what, the top category on YouTube is Video Games, Consoles and Accessories. And YouTube gaming has over 2 billion monthly active users. So, this is proof that gaming content is promising to attract viewers on YouTube.
To get started, of course, you need to create your own YouTube channel, produce content, and share it with other people interested in watching video games being played.
The key here is to be good at what you do. Find your niche and favorite games to show how you can play well to make others want to watch your videos.
To support what you do, you need proper gaming equipment, from a great gaming mic, to an awesome gaming headset. If you start it as a live stream, you need to know how to record a live stream and edit your video content to make it stand out on YouTube!
So, how can you make money gaming on YouTube?
- Monetize your channel with ads — join the YouTube Partner Program and start earning money from ads displayed on your videos.
- Run paid sponsorships — promote products or services in your videos, whether as a flat fee, a commission on sales, or more.
- Sell merchandise — sell t-shirts, hoodies, hats, mugs, and other items with your brand directly or using third-party platforms like Redbubble or Teespring.
Read more: Stream Gaming Setup Recommendations
2. Live Gaming Streaming
- Suitable for: Beginners, any gamers who are fond of streaming live in front of an audience
YouTube Gaming is awesome, but there are also other fantastic live streaming platforms like Twitch, Kick, and DLive that can support your gaming for money.
Those platforms are less saturated with content creators compared to YouTube. That way, you’ll have a better chance of getting noticed by viewers and building an audience without facing fierce competition.
What’s more, Twitch and DLive, in particular, are immensely popular among gamers worldwide. They have evolved into thriving online communities where interaction, collaboration, and monetization are effortless.
In general, all you need to do is set up a channel, start streaming to showcase your gaming skills, build an audience base, and promote your stream on social media.
If you’re looking for a more streamlined way to monetize your hobby without investing countless hours every day, live streaming might be the perfect choice for you!
Wondering how to earn money by playing games through online streaming? Here are a few methods:
- Join the Twitch Partner Program — This program allows you to earn money through advertisements on your stream, viewer subscriptions, and a share of the revenue from game sales and Twitch Bits.
- Receive Donations — Viewers have the option to donate money directly to you during your streams, either through Twitch or with the support of platforms like Gank.
- Secure Sponsorships — By signing a sponsorship agreement, you can support your stream by promoting products or services during your streams in exchange for payment.
- Sell Merchandise — Following the example of top Twitch streamers like Ninja, selling merchandise with your brand or logo can be a highly promising way to make money while playing games.
Read More: Best Games to Stream
3. Becoming a Professional Esports Player
- Suitable for: Gamers with top-notch gaming skill
Did you know that the Esports market is predicted to generate a revenue of US$1,624 million this year? You heard that right. Esports has become popular worldwide, turning what was seen as a casual hobby into a respected professional pursuit.
According to Statista, games such as League of Legends, Dota 2, CS:GO, and Fortnite maintain dominance in the global esports tournament, collectively offering an awesome prize pool of USD 194.17 million in a year.
With that in mind, pursuing a career as an esports player is promising. But, how to make money playing games as a professional gamer?
Firstly, you need to pick a game you’re passionate about. Then, dive deep into learning everything about the game, from its mechanics to advanced strategies. Finally, it’s time to participate in competitions.
You can start with local tournaments and make your way up to global online tournaments. Bear in mind that teaming up with skilled players can boost your journey to the top ranks, too.
With that process, you can get paid to play video games as a professional esports player by:
- Win Tournament — Winning competitions can earn you much money. For example, the Fortnite Champion Series (FNCS) 2023 has a total prize pool of USD 10 million.
- Get Sponsorships and Partnerships Fee — Showcasing your skills to the world makes it easier to attract sponsorships from companies within the gaming industry.
- Sell Merchandise — Maximize your gaming popularity by selling merchandise showcasing your unique brand to generate income.
4. Participating in Gaming Tournaments
- Suitable for: Gamers who want to jump into gaming competitions and win prizes, but may not want to commit full-time to esports
If you’re an avid gamer with awesome skills but don’t want to be a professional player, you can participate in gaming tournaments to win prizes. It’s one of the best ways to make money from gaming.
Unlike becoming a pro player, participating in gaming tournaments requires less commitment. So, it is more flexible for most casual gamers. You can see if there are any local or national tournaments going on in your area. If you’re available, you can sign up for the event.
Joining gaming tournaments as a casual gamer has its perks. You don’t need to have the same level of ambition as pro players do. You have the freedom to participate in as many tournaments as you like and compete for exciting prizes.
However, that doesn’t mean you can just join without having good skills. Bear in mind that you’ll be going up against competitive players, all aiming for the top prize.
Now, how to earn money playing games in tournaments?
- Win Prizes — If you come out on top in the competition, you can win the prize. Off course, it will depend on the tournament’s scale.
- Attract Sponsorships — If you play well during the tournament, you might attract sponsors who offer money, gaming gear, or other benefits to make you represent their brands.
- Receive Donations — If fans appreciate your performance in the tournament or enjoy watching your game streams as you compete, they may contribute donations to support you.
5. Playing Mobile Gaming Apps that Pay
- Suitable for: Any gamers who want to make money playing video games on mobile
You might be wondering, “How to earn money playing games on my mobile device?” Well, you’re lucky because there are many mobile gaming apps that let you have fun and gaming for money. Some of them are:
- Mistplay — a platform for gamers that rewards players for trying out new games.
- Swagbucks: a platform to make money online for certain tasks, including playing games.
- Coin Pop — an application that pays you to download and play mobile games.
Like other mobile apps with gamification features, gamers who spend a lot of time playing games on mobiles can complete tasks and challenges to earn rewards. These rewards can be converted into cash or gift cards.
Bear in mind that this is not the best way to make money by playing games because these apps won’t make you rich overnight. The amount of money you can earn from these gaming apps tends to be low.
This is how you can make money playing games on mobile:
- Complete the challenges — Accumulate points that can be converted into real-world rewards such as cash or gift cards by accomplishing tasks.
- Participate in referrals — Depending on the platform, you may earn additional points by inviting friends to use the app.
- Join special offers — Go for special tasks or challenges that let you earn bonus points to boost your earnings.
6. Starting a Gaming Blog
- Suitable for: Any gamers who love to write and share their thoughts, tips, and reviews related to gaming
Not every skilled gamer has the ability to explain their gameplay in writing. So, if you have excellent writing skills, starting a gaming blog can be a great way to make money gaming.
In fact, there’s a vast audience looking for quality gaming content. It includes game reviews, news, tips and tricks, or in-depth articles on gaming culture and trends.
According to Wix, a blogger can make up to US2000 a month and wil increase over time as the blog grows. However, it all depends on your gaming niche and your expertise. If you’re an exceptional blogger like Peer Schneider, who has established authority in the gaming realm, reaching that earning level is achievable.
To succeed, you’ll need to build a gaming blog and create valuable content that resonates with your audience. Then, enhance your SEO knowledge to boost your blog’s visibility on Google, and analyze your efforts to attract more traffic.
So, how will you make money from gaming blogs?
- Get revenue from Ads — Once you have a steady flow of traffic, you can monetize it by displaying ads. Google AdSense is an excellent platform to choose from.
- Promote products as an affiliates — You will get commissions when promoting gaming products, services, or games on your blog using affiliate links. Whenever your readers make purchases or take certain actions, you will get the points as affiliates.
- Write sponsored posts — You can write sponsored posts about games, products, or services from specific companies upon request. In these posts, you can share your user’s perspectives and get paid to play video games while providing honest reviews.
7. Hosting a Gaming Podcast
- Suitable for: Gamers who love talking about gaming and have good verbal communication skills but hesitate to show their appearance on camera
Let’s say you’re not a fan of writing reviews and you hesitate to stream on Twitch while showing your face. In that case, you have two options: becoming a vTuber or hosting a gaming podcast. The latter is more straightforward for beginners.
A podcast is a digital audio program that can be downloaded or streamed online. Podcasting has been gaining immense popularity. Statista states that over 57% of Americans have listened to a podcast and 78% listen to podcasts to learn new things.
With that in mind, being a gaming podcaster is the potential to make money as a gamer. You can talk about the latest releases, and game reviews, or even conduct interviews with gaming experts or esports players.
If you need some inspiration, a great channel like Get Played, which you can find on Spotify or Apple Podcasts, serves as a good example.
Once you’re ready to monetize your content, here’s how you can make money hosting a gaming podcast:
- Ads revenue — This is one of the best ways to generate income from a gaming podcast. You can include pre-roll, mid-roll, or post-roll ads that you read during your podcast episodes.
- Receive donations — As a podcaster, you can receive donations with the support of platforms like Gank, which allows your loyal audience to contribute and support your work.
- Sell merchandise — Selling merchandise related to your podcast can help you generate revenue while also spreading the word about your podcast to reach an even wider audience.
8. Becoming a Game Tester
- Suitable for: Any gamers who have a sharp eye for detail and can offer valuable feedback on game functionality.
What if you can make money by playing games to test upcoming releases for bugs or malfunctions? If you like the idea, then becoming a game tester is for you.
Game testing is specifically for those who have a keen eye for detail. If you’ve ever found yourself thinking that a game could be improved in certain areas or specific features, then you have the right mindset and are ready for the job as a tester.
Game testing is about offering valuable feedback on game design, mechanics, and functionality. It plays a crucial role in the development cycle of a game. It helps to identify bugs, glitches, and other issues before a game is released to the public.
To make money from gaming as a game tester is fun because you’ll work with game developers to ensure all aspects of the game, including graphics, audio, and gameplay, function as it should.
To get a job as a game tester and earn money by playing games, you’ll need to build a strong portfolio showcasing your skills and apply for positions either as an in-house tester or freelancer.
By doing so, you can make money playing games through:
- Get monthly salary — Sometimes you’ll work as an independent contributor. You’ll earn a salary or hourly wage based on the job’s complexity and the hiring company.
- Get fee as a freelancr — If you work as a freelancer, you can set the price for your services.
- Sell rare items — In very special cases, you might receive rare in-game items that you can keep for yourself or sell once the game is officially launched.
9. Becoming a Gaming Translator
- Suitable for: Any gamers who are fluent in some languages and have a keen understanding of gaming terminology
There are many translation tools available, such as Google Translate. However, they can’t quite match the accuracy and precision of a human translation, especially from someone with expertise in a specific niche like gaming.
So, if you’re a gamer with a keen understanding of gaming terminology, you can make money from gaming as a translator.
The gaming industry is booming with more than 3 billion people worldwide playing games. As a result, there is an increasing demand for gaming translators to ensure that games are accessible to non-English-speaking audiences.
If you’re interested in making money as a gaming translator, start by building your portfolio as a translator. Don’t hesitate to become a part of the gaming community to boost your visibility as a professional. Then, apply for gaming translation jobs, whether as an in-house translator or as a freelancer.
So, when you will make money gaming as a translator? If you:
- Earn fees as freelancer — Take on freelance translation jobs for specific projects through platforms like Fiverr or Upwork and earn money from your gigs.
- Get salary as an in-house translator — With your achievements, some companies may hire you as their in-house translator, whether it’s a gaming company or a game localization company.
10. Becoming a Game Coach
- Suitable for: Experienced gamers with great skills of gaming and coaching
Like traditional sports teams, esports teams also need gaming coaches. If you are great at specific games, you can make money by playing games and offering video game coaching sessions.
But, don’t get it wrong. It doesn’t have to be an esports team of incredible talent that you’re coaching. You can provide coaching services to a gamer who is determined to achieve victory in an honorable tournament but finds the competition too challenging to face alone.
There might be time when a gamer hire you as a coach to analyze their gaming tactics, helping them identify their strengths and weaknesses from different perspectives. Depending on the gig, your coaching sessions can be in-person or online.
To get started, you need to establish your gaming expertise and learn what’s necessary to become an effective coach. You may even need to get a coaching certification if necessary. As you gain a great reputation, you can find work through individuals who need your guidance or joining coaching platforms like Blitz or Gamer Sensei.
After doing that, you can get paid to play video games as a gaming coach by:
- Conducting coaching sessions — You can charge for your services on an hourly basis. The rates will depend on your expertise and the game you’re coaching.
- Participating in online coaching platforms — Take advantage of the platform to find clients and get paid to play video games and hold a coaching session.
- Team Coaching — If an esports team hires you to train their players and boost team performance, this could offer a more consistent income compared to individual coaching sessions.
11. Creating Gaming Guides and Tutorials
- Suitable for: Experienced gamers with awesome skills of gaming and teaching
Online learning platforms like Udemy aren’t solely for topics like digital marketing or website development. There’s many courses aimed at teaching beginners how to master a specific game, too.
You read it right. In fact, you can make money playing games by creating tutorials on how to explore certain games intended for starters as your learners. If you hesitate to use third party platforms, you can even use your own website to offer that digital products.
Think of it like an on-demand video content but with comprehensive explanations tailored for your target audience. Fret not, the potential topics for your tutorials are limitless. You can create game guides content about walkthroughs, strategy guides, tips and tricks, and more.
What’s even more interesting is video isn’t your only medium for these digital products. You can also offer written guides in the form of eBooks.
Here’s how you can earn money gaming by creating guides and tutorials:
- Sell Ebook — Create ebook guide to a game to sell them on platforms like Amazon, Google Playbook, or your own website.
- Sell Video Courses — Record your game streams and repurpose them into comprehensive video courses.
- Ads Revenue — If you post your guides on a platform like YouTube, you can earn income through ad revenue.
- Donations — You can offer your gaming tutorials for free and invite your audience to contribute donations.
12. Offering Game Setup Services
- Suitable for: Tech-savvy gamers who are good at setting up and optimizing gaming systems
Building a proper gaming setup can be challenging for beginner. So if you are a tech-savvy gamers, why not try to offer game setup services?
This is not a direct way to make money playing games, though. But only experienced gamers with current knowledge can certainly understand what type of equipment supports specific gaming needs. So, we can stil this ideas promising.
We recognize that not everyone has the tech expertise to optimize their systems for optimal gameplay. This could involve setting up a new gaming console or PC, optimizing graphics for the best performance, or configuring game servers for multiplayer matches.
You might be asking, “Will this work? Who will my clients be?” Well, this is an ideas that’s worth trying. You can consider parents who want to set up gaming systems for their kids but aren’t sure how to go about it. They can be your clients.
So, how can you make money offering game setup services?
- Charge a Service Fee — You can charge a fee for your time and expertise to make the best setup for certain gaming needs.
- Sell Gaming Hardware — You can sell gaming hardware or accessories as part of your service, particularly for complex gaming streaming setups.
- Add-On Services — You can offer regular system updates for an extra fee or any technical services you think would be valuable to your target audience.
13. Selling In-Game Items
- Suitable for: Any gamers who spend time in games to collect rare items and sell them
This approach isn’t applicable to all games. Many game developers prohibit such actions as they view it as a breach of their policies. If you violate a game’s terms of service, you risk being banned.
However, let’s be honest that there are still gamers who buy and sell rare items on various platforms. While we don’t recommend this method, we’ll share this information so you understand the ins and outs of trading rare items.
Many multiplayer online games, like CS: GO, are popular among rare item sellers due to their in-game economies where items such as skins, weapons, or other gear can be traded or sold.
These items can often be obtained through gameplay, purchased with in-game currency, or won as prizes. Depending on their rarity or demand within the gaming community, these items can sometimes be sold for substantial amounts of real-world money.
Here’s how you can make money selling in-game items:
- Trade or Sell Items —You can sell your in-game items for real-world money.
- Farming Items — You can farm rare items by completing missions that drop these items.
- Game Flipping —You can buy items at a low price and sell them when their price increases.
14. Becoming a Game Developer
- Suitable for: A gamer with exceptional coding skills to create their own games
Are you someone who is passionate about gaming and has great programming skills? If that’s the case, you can get paid to play games by creating your own as a game developer.
Game development demands a high level of creativity. As a gamer yourself, you can derive inspiration from the games you play, whether it’s from their storyline, graphics, or game mechanics.
While this route to earn money from gaming isn’t for everyone, it can be incredibly fulfilling for those who take it on. You can earn money from becoming a game developer by:
- Selling your games — You can earn money for every copy of your game sold on platforms like Steam, the App Store, or Google Play Store.
- In-Game Purchases — You can offer in-game purchases where players can buy additional content or features.
- Licensing — If other companies want to license your game to release it under their brand, this can generate a significant revenue.
Final Thoughts on How to Make Money Gaming
As you can see, there are many different ways to make money from gaming, from coaching and creating tutorials, to streaming and starting a gaming blog.
Keep in mind that those methods are straightforward if you have awesome skills to accomplish them. However, they still demand dedication and patience to achieve the best results.
We hope that this article has been informative and helpful to you. We want everyone to have the chance of being able to make money by playing games, so we’ve covered as many options as possible.
So, go polish your skills, fine-tune your strategies, and transform your passion for gaming into a profitable pursuit. Happy gaming!