Do you want to reupload your Instagram Reels on other social platforms? Or maybe you want to save them as a reference for your upcoming short-form video? Then, you need to know how to download Instagram Reels.
Thankfully, you can choose between many methods on how to save Instagram Reels in gallery with music. So, you can still keep the context of those videos.
Without further ado, let’s learn how to download Reels from Instagram.
Can You Save IG Reels?
You can download Instagram Reels, but let’s get through a disclaimer before you try doing it.
While Instagram lets you save the Reels that you uploaded, there is no official way to download those that belong to other content creators. As of this writing, some users in the United States may see a “download” button when they access the Reels options, though.
Thankfully, there are ways on how to download Instagram Reels from other users with a few extra steps. Before we explain that, let’s take a look at how to save Insta Reels that you own.
How to Save Instagram Reels that You Posted
Whether you want to save IG Reels to repurpose them or for keepsakes, the method is very easy. Follow the steps below:
1. Open your account page and tap on the Reels tab.
2. Tap on the Reel you want to download.
3. Tap the three-dot icon at the bottom right of the screen and tap Save to Camera Roll.
That is how to download Instagram Reels that you posted. Once you have done those steps, the reel will be downloaded to your device and can be accessed through the gallery.
How to Download Instagram Reels in Gallery Without App
As we mentioned, certain Instagram users in the US have the privilege to download other social media content creators’ Reels within the social platform’s app. Here are the steps:
1. Tap on the Reel you want to download.
2. Tap the share button (represented with the paper plane icon) and tap Download.
If you do not see the option to download after tapping on the share button, do not worry! We will walk you through other ways on how to save Instagram Reels in gallery.
How to Download Instagram Reels from Other Accounts using A 3rd-Party App
Both App Store and Google Play house a couple of content creation tools that are marketed as a means to save IG Reels. However, not all of these apps are trustworthy.
Unfortunately, there are no legit Instagram video downloaders for iOS as of this writing. Thus, iPad and iPhone users have to use other methods on how to save Insta Reels that are mentioned in this article.
Android users, on the other hand, can use Video Downloader for Instagram. This app has been installed millions of times, has mostly positive reviews, and is updated regularly. Below are the steps on how to download Instagram Reels using the app:
1. Install the app and open it. Enable permissions for the app when prompted.
2. Open the Instagram Reel that you want to download.
3. Tap the share button and tap Copy link.
4. Open Video Downloader for Instagram, paste the Reel link into the given space, and tap Download.
Read : 170+ Instagram Bio Ideas
How to Save Instagram Reels from Other Accounts using Screen Recorder
For the past few years, iOS and Android devices have had a built-in screen recording feature that you can use to capture Instagram reels. Here is how to take advantage of that:
The steps on how to download Instagram Reels with the iOS built-in screen recorder are as follows:
1. Open Settings.
2. Tap Control Center and add Screen Recording to the controls.
3. Access Instagram and open the Reel you want to save.
4. Slide your finger from the top of the screen to open the Control Center and tap the record button.
5. Stop the recording by hitting the red bar at the top of the screen.
Below are the steps on how to save Insta Reels with the Android built-in screen recorder:
1. Access Instagram and open the Reel you want to save.
2. Slide your finger from the top of the screen and tap Screen Record.
3. Stop the recording by tapping the stop button on the upper-right corner of the screen.
That is how to download Instagram Reels using the screen recorder on’ iOS and Android. Once you finish recording the Reel, we suggest you open it in your device’s video editor to cut unwanted parts and get only the Instagram video.
How to Save Instagram Reels from Other Accounts via Stories
In a way, Instagram offers a built-in option to download other users’ videos, which is using the Stories editor. Below are the steps:
1. Open the Instagram Reel you want to save.
2. Tap the share button and tap Add to story.
3. Tap the three-dot button on the top right corner and tap Save.
How to Download Instagram Reels from Other Accounts on Desktop
Do you happen to be scrolling through your Instagram feed on the laptop and want to download some Reels? You can do that on Mac and Windows computers by screen recording. Find out the steps below:
To record your screen on Mac, you need to access QuickTime Player. Once you do that and open the Reel in your browser, follow the steps below:
1. Click File > New Screen Recording.
2. Click the arrow down button next to the record button to make sure that “Show Mouse Clicks on Recording” has no checkmark.
3. Click the record button and click anywhere on the screen to start recording.
4. Click Save, edit the recording file name, and decide where you want to keep it.
5. Click Save, edit the recording file name, and decide where you want to keep it.
That is how to download Instagram Reels on Mac. To do it on Windows, take a look at the steps below.
Windows 10 and 11 offer a built-in screen recorder. Here is how you can use it to download reels:
1. Open the Reel you want to save in your browser.
2. Press Windows + Alt + R to start recording.
3. Click the stop button on the floating bar to finish recording. Your screen recording will be saved automatically to the Videos folder.
How to Save Instagram Reels to Watch Later
Maybe you saw an interesting Reel and wanted to pay attention to it some other time. Instead of learning how to download Instagram Reels, you can just save the post to the Saved folder in your Instagram account. The steps are as follows:
1. Open the Reel you want to save.
2. Tap the three-dot button on the right corner and tap Save.
To access your saved Reel, do the steps below:
1. Open your account page and tap the three-line button on the top right corner.
2. Tap Saved.
3. Tap All Posts.
While this Instagram feature is handy, the Reels you save are still under their owners’ control. So, you will not be able to find them if the owner deleted them.
Now You Know How to Download Instagram Reels
There is more than one way to save IG Reels. For US users, you may have the option to directly download other accounts’ Instagram videos from the Reels menu. Unfortunately, Instagram has not rolled out this feature to the rest of the world yet.
With that in mind, Instagram users in other countries can download other people’s videos by using:
- A 3rd-party app (recommended for Android users only)
- A screen recorder
- The Stories editor within Instagram’s app
So, those are some methods on how to download Instagram Reels. We hope that this article helps! Also, stay tuned to our blog for more content creator tips!