You got into an argument with another user on Instagram and decided to block them. Nevertheless, you want to reconcile with the person one day. But before that, you probably wonder, “what happens when you unblock someone on Instagram?”
Unblocking an Instagram user lets them interact with you on the platform again. So, whether you are a casual social media user who gets into a quarrel with a friend or a content creator who has a feud with another creator, the unblock feature comes in handy.
However, not everything will be back to how it was after you welcome the blocked person back. If you want to learn more and know different methods to unblock people on Instagram, read on!
What Happens when You Unblock Someone on Instagram?
To understand what occurs when you unblock an Instagram user, it is best to review what blocking does. Below are the effects that take place when you block someone on the platform:
- They will not be able to follow you.
- They will be unable to find your profile and content.
- Their likes and comments on your posts will be deleted.
- They will not be able to mention your username or tag you on posts.
- They can send you direct messages, but you will not receive them.
- If you create a group chat, they will not be able to join.
So, what happens when you unblock someone on Instagram? Simply put, all of those conditions are removed. The user will be able to find your profile and interact with you again.
However, their interactions with you prior to the unblocking will not be restored. The user’s likes and comments will not reappear. You will not get the messages they sent to you as well.
If the user previously followed you, they will have to follow you again manually. This condition applies to you too.
How to Unblock Someone on The Instagram App
You have learned what happens when you unblock someone on Instagram. If you are ready to welcome the blocked person back, you can unblock them via the iOS or Android Instagram app using the steps below:
1. Visit the blocked user’s profile.
2. Tap the Unblock button under their bio.
3. Tap Unblock on the pop-up confirmation.
Alternatively, you can unblock the user from your blocked list. Here are the steps to do it:
1. Open your profile.
2. Tap the hamburger menu on the top-right corner.
3. Tap Settings.
4. Tap Privacy.
5. Tap Blocked Accounts.
6. Tap the Unblock button next to the profile you want to unblock.
How to Unblock Someone on Instagram’s Web App
You already know what happens when you unblock someone on Instagram and how to do it on an iOS or Android device. But what if you do not have the Instagram app? Luckily, you can still unblock people on Instagram’s web app by following the steps below:
1. Access Instagram in your web browser and log into your account.
2. Visit the profile you want to unblock.
3. Tap Unblock and confirm.
Regardless of how you unblock someone, Instagram will not notify them. So, they will most likely not notice that you do so. If you want to reconnect with that person, you should follow them first to give a sign.
That is what happens when you unblock someone on Instagram. However, there are instances where people cannot find the user they want to reconnect with. In that case, read the part below.
How to Unblock Someone on Instagram but The User Is Not Found
You may not be able to find an Instagram user because of the following reasons:
- They block you too.
- They changed their username.
- They deleted their account.
- Instagram banned their account.
If both you and the person block each other, one should unblock the other via the blocked list as we explained earlier in this article. That is what happens when you unblock someone on Instagram who blocked you.
Nonetheless, you can also unblock a user who blocked you from the direct message. Here is how to do it:
1. Open your direct messages.
2. Tap the pencil and paper icon on the top-right corner to create a new chat.
3. Type the username that you want to unblock in the search bar.
4. Send them a message.
5. Tap the information button on the top-right corner and select unblock.
Once you do that, you can let the person know using means other than Instagram to unblock you as well.
Now You Know What Happens when You Unblock Someone on Instagram
Unblocking a person on Instagram allows you to reconnect with them on the platform. That includes:
- Enabling the user to find your profile and content.
- Allowing them to follow you.
- Letting them mention your username or tag you on posts.
- Giving them the permission to join your group chats.
- Enabling you to receive their messages.
Despite those conditions, the user’s likes and comments on your posts will not be restored. Plus, the messages they sent you before getting unblocked will never reach you.
We hope that this article is helpful. For more tips like this, subscribe to our blog!
FAQs about What Happens when You Unblock Someone on Instagram
How do you unblock someone on Instagram?
You can unblock users by visiting their profile, through your blocked list, or via the direct message.
Can you unblock someone who blocked you?
Yes. You can unblock the person via the blocked list. Alternatively, you can do so from the direct message.
When you unblock someone, will their likes and comments reappear?
No. Their past interactions with your posts will remain deleted.
When you unblock someone, will they automatically follow you again?
No. They will have to follow you back manually.
What happens when you unblock someone on Instagram, will they know?
No. You will have to let them know personally.