So you want to be a music producer? Great! It’s a challenging and rewarding field. With the right tools, you can create some amazing music. But where do you start? There are literally hundreds of music production apps and tools out there, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. How do you know which ones to choose?
That’s where we come in. In this article, we’ll introduce you to some of the best music production apps for beginners, show you how they work, and give you some tips on how to use them.
Kinds of Music Production Software
When it comes to music production, there are many different kinds of software you can use. Here are some of the most popular:
- Recording Software: Recording software is used to capture audio from instruments, microphones, or other sound sources. It allows you to record tracks and create your own musical compositions. Popular recording software includes Pro Tools, Cubase, and Logic Pro.
- Digital Instruments/Orchestration Software: This type of software uses digital sounds to create orchestral and instrument sounds. Popular examples include EastWest’s Composer Cloud, Spitfire Audio’s LABS Library, Native Instruments Komplete, and SampleTank.
- Sampling and Sound Boards: Sampling and sound boards allow you to create your own sounds by manipulating pre-recorded samples. Popular tools include Ableton Live and FL Studio.
- Digital Audio Workspaces: Digital audio workspaces are designed for quick, easy editing of sound files. Popular programs include Adobe Audition, Pro Tools HD, and Logic Pro X.
- DJ Software: There’s a wide range of DJ software out there, from beginner-friendly programs like Serato and Traktor to more advanced tools like Scratch Live.
- Broadcasting Software: Broadcasting software is used for live-streaming audio or video content. Popular programs include OBS Studio and XSplit Broadcaster.
Best Music Production Software for your Mac and PCs
Nothing beats the power offered by a desktop computer when it comes to making digital music. Laptops offer slightly less power for the convenience of portability. For serious musicians, maximizing their powerful rigs with the right programs is critical. Here are some of the best music production apps for your desktop and laptop computers:
- Darkwave Studio (PC): Darkwave Studio is a powerful recording program with a user-friendly interface. It features an easy-to-follow workflow and includes virtual instruments, effects, and mixing tools.
- Audacity (PC/Mac): Audacity is a free, open-source program for audio recording and editing. It’s easy to use and includes basic effects, plugins, and built-in tools.
- Linux MultiMedia Studio (Linux): LMMStudio is a great choice for Linux users looking to create music on their computers. It features an intuitive interface and a wide range of instruments, effects, and audio processing tools.
- WaveForm (PC/Mac): WaveForm is a full-featured digital audio workstation with a simple workflow. It includes recording, editing, mixing, and mastering tools, as well as built-in plugins and effects.
- Cakewalk by Bandlab (PC): Cakewalk is a powerful recording and production program with an intuitive interface. It includes virtual instruments, effects, and mixing tools, as well as MIDI editing and audio-to-MIDI conversion.
- GarageBand (Mac): GarageBand is a beginner-friendly music production app for Mac users. It features easy-to-use recording, editing, and mixing tools, as well as virtual instruments, effects, and loops.
- inBeat Sound Pad (Mac): inBeat is a simple yet powerful music production tool for Mac users. It includes easy-to-use recording and editing tools, as well as sound packs and plugins to help you create unique sounds.
Best Music Production Software on your Mobile Phones
While PCs and Macs might offer more power, your mobile phones are no slouches when it comes to music production. Here are some of the best music production apps for beginners on your mobile phone:
Android and IOS
- BandLab (Android/iOS): BandLab is a free recording and mixing app with a simple user interface. It includes virtual instruments, effects, loops, and sharing tools.
- ZenBeats (Android/iOS): ZenBeats is a simple but powerful music production app for mobile. It includes virtual instruments, effects, and mixing tools, as well as MIDI recording, step sequencing, and more.
- Music Maker Jam (Android/iOS): Music Maker Jam is an easy-to-use music creation platform that allows users to create songs from scratch or by remixing existing tunes using a custom loop library.
- Steinberg Cubasis (Android): Steinberg Cubasis is a powerful and intuitive music production app for Android devices. It includes virtual instruments, effects, recording tools, MIDI sequencing, and much more.
- FL Studio Mobile (Android): Since 2017, FL Studio Mobile has been available on Android devices. It includes a virtual keyboard, drum pads, and over 130 virtual instruments.
- Animoog (iOS): Animoog is an expressive music production app specifically designed for iOS devices. It features powerful sound manipulation tools such as 3D Touch integration and an X/Y control pad for real-time manipulation of sound.
- Soundtrap (iOS): Soundtrap is a great music production app for creating, recording, and collaborating on music. It supports audio, MIDI, and loop recording, as well as 200+ virtual instruments and effects.
- Reason Compact (iOS): When it comes to top-level music production apps for iOS, Reason Compact is among the best. It includes a full version of Propellerhead’s Reason music production software featuring virtual instruments and effects.
Whether you’re looking for a powerful mobile beatmaker or an easy-to-use music production app, there are plenty of great options available on both Android and iOS devices. With these apps, you can record high-quality tracks from wherever you are and make music on the go.
Music production apps are a great way for beginners to get their feet wet in the world of music production. With these apps, you can learn the basics of sound engineering and experiment with different sounds without needing a complex setup or expensive equipment. This allows you to make better content as a musician!
Furthermore, they are a great way to collaborate with other producers and share your music with the world. And with mobile apps, you can take your music production skills with you wherever you go. Now that you know what the best music-making apps for android are and what app music producers use, don’t wait any longer – start making music today!