Are you a content creator who loves cosplay but finds it difficult to make a full costume from scratch? Look no further than “closet cosplays” – costumes made from items you already have in your wardrobe. Not only are they affordable and easy to make, but they’re also a great way to show off your creativity and fandom. In this article, we’ll show you how to make some amazing cosplays from your closet!
What is Closet Cosplay
Cosplaying is a lot of fun, but it can also be pretty expensive. That’s why some cosplayers have turned to closet cosplay so that they continue enjoying the hobby on a budget. Closet cosplay is a creative and economical way for fans to show their love for their favorite characters without breaking the bank or spending hours creating elaborate costumes. Closet cosplayers are able to do this by using items they already have in their closet to create a costume that resembles a beloved character. It is one of the types of cosplay you’ll commonly see in conventions and events.
This can be as simple as wearing a red and white striped shirt with a beanie to create a Where’s Waldo costume or using a blue vest, jeans, and sneakers to emulate the look of Ash Ketchum from Pokemon. The idea is to keep the main visual themes of a character while not delving too much into the details. That way, the cosplay is still very recognizable despite not having a lot of custom pieces.
While some may argue that closet cosplay is not as impressive or authentic as more elaborate costumes, it still offers a unique opportunity for fans to express their creativity and fandom in a way that is accessible and enjoyable for everyone.
Why should you Closet Cosplay
Closet cosplay can also be a great starting point for those who are new to cosplay, as they provide a low-pressure way to get involved in the community and explore different fandoms. There are many different reasons why you should try out Closet Cosplay, particularly if you’re new to the cosplaying world.
The first reason, and probably the most obvious one, is that closet cosplay is incredibly easy and inexpensive. You don’t need to spend hours or hundreds of dollars to create an elaborate costume. Instead, you can use items you already have in your closet to create a costume that resembles your favorite character. This is not only a great way to save money, but it’s also an opportunity to get creative and experiment with different styles and combinations.
The second reason is closely related to the first one in that the pieces that you use for your closet cosplay are articles of clothing that you will likely be able to wear again. This allows you to get some extra mileage on clothes that you’d have to purchase to complete your closet cosplay look. Good closet cosplay can also be mixed and matched for your everyday use.
The third reason is that it’s quicker than making a costume from scratch which makes it perfect for those unplanned trips to conventions. While it’s true that buying a ready-made costume might be less of a hassle, it is important to remember that you will be using pieces that actually fit you already. You’ll know exactly what’s missing the moment you scour your wardrobe for ideas. This can lead to a better overall experience for last-minute costume needs.
Lastly, closet cosplay is still a fun way to show your love for your favorite characters and connect with others who share your passions. With costumes becoming more elaborate than ever and the cost of becoming a traditional cosplayer continuously piling up, it is refreshing to see people who share these passions on a more casual level. Whether you’re attending a convention, participating in online communities, or just sharing your creations on social media, closet cosplay is a great conversation starter and a way to bond with others over your favorite fandoms. They’re particularly awesome for attending whole-day conventions, as they are comfortable and easy to wear.
Tips for Successful Closet Cosplay
If you’re looking to get into closet cosplay, there are a few key tips and tricks that can help you create the perfect costume. Note that these are just suggestions, and you can be as creative as you’d like for your own closet cosplay, but if you’re unsure about how to begin, follow these easy steps and get started on your own costume:
- Pick a character or franchise you’re passionate about. It is easier to be creative when working on something you feel strongly about. The more you know about the character, the easier it will be for you to find items that will work well for your cosplay.
- Consider different versions of a character. Explore the different costumes used by your favorite characters. You’d find that they’d have something easy to cosplay across their many different iterations. For example, Superboy has many different versions over the years; we’ve had a Superboy with the more traditional Superman costume, we’ve also had a Superboy rocking a black leather jacket to go alongside some Superman tights, and we’ve even had a Superboy who wears a simple black Superman T-shirt along side blue jeans and boots. The last one is still an iconic look that can easily be replicated with items from your closet.
- Accent your natural hairstyle. Another tip to choosing the right character is to take hairstyles into consideration. This is particularly of note when you’re going for an anime character. If a character is recognizable regardless of what they’re wearing, this is probably because of their hair. Use this to your advantage!
- Identify the color scheme you’re going for. One of the most important techniques to master when attempting closet cosplay is proper color matching. Most characters have a unique color scheme associated with them. These can make your costume easily identifiable even from afar, even without the exact details.
- Create complex looks through layering. By layering your clothes, you will be able to create complex patterns using simple items. With a little bit of creativity, you can come up with combinations that closely resemble authentic costumes.
- Jazz up your look with some awesome accessories. Using accessories is an important aspect of creating a successful closet cosplay. With the right props and accessories, you can take your costume to the next level and really bring your favorite characters to life!
- Draw attention using your exquisite make-up work. While you don’t necessarily need to go all out with elaborate makeup looks, a few well-placed accents can really help your closet cosplay look more authentic. Use make-up to highlight distinct facial features your character has, whether those are scars, blemishes, or even facial hair!
- Level up your costume with basic cosplay materials. You can use some basic cosplay materials to complement what you found in your closet.
- Have fun with it! At the end of the day, our goal is to have fun. Don’t stress out over the minor details that your costume might be missing, and instead compensate by internalizing the character and acting out their mannerisms and exclaiming expressions.
Easy Closet Cosplay Ideas
The trick to picking your first closet cosplay is choosing a character that you like with a costume that is comprised of ordinary-looking articles of clothing. By breaking down a character’s costume into individual types of clothes, you will discover that some of them have costumes that you already have in your closet. Here are some recommendations for characters that we think you can cosplay from your closet.
Before he donned his iconic red costume, Matt Murdock started out with a simple all-black outfit consisting of a black long-sleeve rash guard or compression shirt, black cargo pants, black combat boots, black tactical gloves, and a black headscarf. It’s a pretty easy ensemble to assemble from your closet with pieces that are very versatile.
Kim Possible (Disney Channel)
Kim Possible is another character whose complete costume might already be inside your closet. She rocks a black long-sleeve shirt with a tummy-baring midriff, black gloves, black boots, and gray or green cargo pants. If you have access to a long red-haired wig, it will also work perfectly with the overlook. You can also highlight your characterization by dropping a “What’s the sitch?” and “No big” in casual conversations.
Shouta Aizawa (My Hero Academia)
Next, we have one of the easiest anime closet cosplays from My Hero Academia: UA Teacher and Pro-Hero, Shouta Aizawa, otherwise known as Eraser Head. His main costume resembles that of the previously mentioned Daredevil sans the gloves, and he trades in the headscarf for a binding cloth and yellow goggles. The binding cloth can be simulated using long a long scarf or two, and the yellow goggles are mostly optional. You can swap to and fro Eraser Head and Daredevil depending on what kind of convention you’re attending. There are even more characters that rock the all-black look, which can utilize their main clothing pieces.
Kyoka Jiro (My Hero Academia)
Still from My Hero Academia, we have the Sound Hero, Earphone Jack also known as Kyoka Jiro. Kyoka’s hero look is fairly easy to replicate with items commonly found in your closet. If you have an old salmon-colored shirt, you can add a bit of distress by creating fashionable tears below the neckline and then pairing it with a black leather jacket and some black tights. To complete the look, throw on some black boots, white handwraps, and use old earphones as an accessory to simulate her quirk’s mutated ears.
The enigmatic L has been a favorite for last-minute costumes because of how simple it is. Throw on a white long-sleeve shirt over a pair of blue jeans, and you have his complete costume. You can then use make-up to add eyebags and practice his posture and unique sitting position to bring the character to life. Make sure to bring slippers so that you don’t have to walk barefoot all of the time!
Yor (Spy X Family)
Another recent fan favorite is Yor from Spy X Family. Actually, all main characters have their own iconic casual look, but Yor’s ensemble is the most versatile with a white headband, a red off-shoulder sweater dress, a pair of black tights, and a pair of brown boots. Her attire is something you can wear when you’re going out on errands, and only fans of the show will recognize the look!
So there you have it! Closet cosplays are a fantastic way to show off your love for your fandoms while highlighting your creativity without spending a fortune on costumes. By using items you already have in your wardrobe, you can create amazing costumes that will impress your fellow content creators and fans alike. Whether you’re a beginner or an expert, there’s a closet cosplay out there for everyone. So grab your favorite clothes and accessories, and let your imagination run wild!